Sunday, September 3, 2017

Multitasking

Fall is a busy time of year for me. My day jobs pick back up (as does my pay, thankfully) and fills my schedule beyond the stereotypical nine-to-five hours. I'm querying my most recent novel--and, depending on the response to this batch of queries, seeking editorial assistance to give it another polish. This also tends to be the time of year when I get first drafts knocked out--NaNoWriMo is approaching faster than I really want to think about, and I hope to use it to get the first draft of my next project (which I expect will be between 75 and 80 thousand words) out by the end of the year. And I've taken on a couple of extra projects this year: a 5,000 work short for my writing group's anthology, and a 15 to 20 thousand word project for a publisher that I can't officially announce yet that's due in December.

For those that are keeping track, that's about 105 thousand words that I'm meant to get out before the end of the year, and about 25 thousand of those words need to be polished finals. And, again, this is aside from the work, both anticipated and not, that will come from my (three) day jobs.

So, yeah, I'm busy.

I don't mind having a lot of work to do. I get restless and anxious when my time is too empty. Having something to focus on keeps my imagination from spinning down paths that end with me imagining worst-case scenarios for literally every interaction I have with anyone and literally every action I take. But this workload is a lot, even for me, and I'm having to multitask more than I'm used to.

I've mentioned before, both on this blog and in guest posts on other blogs, that I'm on the planner side of the planner/pantser spectrum. This tendency extends beyond my writing. I like to know what I'm going to have to do ahead of time. I'm a to-do list person. I might not physically write down the list, but when I get up in the morning, I walk myself through all of the goals I need to accomplish in that day.

Some insight into planning from V.E. Schwab, whose work I enjoy more and more the longer it sits with me.
What complicates all of this is my physical and mental health. I can't predict when a blinding migraine will keep me sidelined or when my mental condition will bottom out and sap my energy, motivation, and self-worth. Sometimes what should be a doable set of tasks become impossible, and sometimes I have to decide if I'm going to be able to do work to further my writing career or if I'm going to give my limited energy to my day job.

So I try to account for this when I set my goals. I give myself ranges: "I need to add 250 to 1,000 words to this project." "I need to outline this arc or this chapter." "If there's time, I need to edit these pages." This gives me a way out when I've overestimated what I can accomplish but also keeps me doing something. It also lets me build in days when I can rest--a couple of days hitting the top range of my goals gets me ahead of where I need to be and gives me the freedom to take a break. And sometimes those breaks are the best thing I can do for my work.

All of this involves a sort of long-range planning. It's not just about knowing what I can do in a day. It's about knowing what the long-term goal is--whether that's completing a work by a deadline or marking an accomplishment off of the list.

The planning is stressful. But I knew that there would be stress--considerable stress--involved with trying to turn writing from a hobby to a career (even if, as it is now, it has to be a second career). And the stress is worth it in the moments when I'm able to track my own progress. I've taken on so much work this year, but the work is opening doors. Or at least windows. It's worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I am emailing you today because I am interested in reviewing your work on my blog RedheadedBooklover. My blog has amassed a large amount of followers and a loyal readership in a short amount of time and I would love so much to feature your work there. I am always on the lookout for great books I can feature for my readers; that is why I was so thrilled when I just now came across your work because your work looks incredible and you look like a really talented writer.
    I would really love if I was able to review your work for you on my blog; my blog address is: https://redheadedbookloverblog.wordpress.com/ , please feel free to have a look and see whether you would want your book to be featured there! Your work looks wonderful and I am excited at the possibility of us potentially working together.
    Please feel free to email me at: redheadedbookloverblog@gmail.com whenever you can and we can discuss me reviewing your book in more detail; I can also send you my WordPress statistics as well as my Amazon selling statistics which I think you will be pleased with! Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing back from you.

    All best,
    Aimee Ann

    P.S. I want to assure you that this is not an automated message or a message that has been copied and pasted; I am genuinely interested in your work and look forward to your reply, thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about keeping your imagination busy really resonated with me. I'm the same way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of creative people are, I think. It's good to find those positive ways to deal with it. Thanks, Katherine!

      Delete